Similar in spirit to the distortions assignment last week, I want you to experiment with altering letterforms by adding or removing parts of the letter. You may do this in the computer or off.
Use the letters RISD.
Unlike last week, we will discuss how the end piece alters the meaning of the letters.
Here are some examples of what you can do:
- Remove a part of one letter with another
- Create a pattern and remove the patterned shape from the letter
- Create a set of rules to follow (no straight lines, remove everything below the x-height)
- Remove as much of the letter as possible and have it be legible
- Combine weights from the same family